Thursday, February 5, 2009

Last night we went by to see Grandma Dunham. Maci is feeling good and Grandma didn't have a contagious illness, so we took the opportunity to visit. Maci doesn't get to do much visiting in the winter. Maci's grandma Jane keeps me paranoid that we are going to catch something. I get weekly reports - did you know there are 35 cases of influenza in Columbia? It is only a matter of time till it is in our area. I don't think it helps that I work at a school either. The parents call in for the sick kids and the nurse has to report to the health department the different illnesses we have here. So, I give the parents the 3rd degree. I know they are thinking my kid is sick why is she asking so many questions. I think they think I am judging their parenting skills. I am not - I just want to know for the nurse and my own paranoid self. Anyway moving on...

I had told Maci we were going to visit Grandma Calista. She responded "she has lots of good books there." And if you have been by Grandma Calista's she does have lots of good books for the old and the young. She enjoyed playing with all the toys and Uncle Paul. They did argue for a bit about who could have which truck, but I think they worked it out. Aunt Amy was looking a bit tired. I told her some nights we struggle to make it to a normal bedtime. I tried to convince Maci the other night we should take our bath early and go to bed. It was 6:30 p.m. It didn't work. I thought it would be perfectly appropriate if Aunt Amy went to bed at 6:30 why not?

Maci is really enjoying the new room. She has spent hours in there playing independently. She cooks, cleans, and plays baby dolls. After a long quiet time, I realize wow she is still in there playing. Do I go look or do I just enjoy the peace? If I go look, she will come out. If I don't, she could be painting her room. What is a parent to do?

No comments: