Monday, October 15, 2007

1946 vs. Today

Well this last weekend we had a party - a cleaning party! We cleaned out the White House basement. The basement was full of stuff that had been wet and starting to be very stinky. We carried LOTS of stuff out I will know how many trash hoppers tomorrow. In the process of cleaning, I was looking at Uncle Mark's journal for 1946. In 1946 diapers were $3.04! And I have a feeling those were not disposable, since they were only purchased once! They also purchased a receiving blanket for $.78. I don't think Maci has ANYTHING that was less than a dollar...

We found lots of treasures. I think Aunt Laurel must have received flowers weekly. She had many lovely vases. We also found their high school & college diplomas. Along with the treasures we uncovered some unpleasant things. Aunt Amy was cleaning out a corner and stirred up the nastiest smell. It was a good thing Aunt Nancy had brought us mask over from Grandma's house. Aunt Nancy was lucky enough to be around for the party. I bet that is the last time she comes to visit...well maybe Maci will get her to come back around. Maci warmed right up to Aunt Nancy because she was the only one to take her to visit Mark's cows. Maci has an obsession with the cows. We might have a cattle farmer! Or better yet maybe a veterinarian...

2 comments:

aj burke said...

Neat! I'm glad you are preserving the 'treasures'. I bet Uncle Mark's journals could be turned into a great book. Unless they are all about the price of diapers and cattle.
I can't wait to see Miss Maci again!! I am looking at flights for Dec. :-) Christmas at the White House?? (Beth, you know all the family holidays are likely to get shoved onto you now that you are in the biggest house, right?)

Beth said...

So I guess you don't realize it is really not the biggest house. We are only living in 3 rooms. The upstairs is all out of commission okay full of stuff. I guess a fall/spring holiday would be find as people could be outside. I guess Arbor day is it!